Coronavirus Updates

Latest Announcements

Burlington City Council Passes Resolution Encouraging Residents to Vigilantly Adhere to the COVID-19 Public Safety Measures Set Out in The Governor’s Executive Orders  12/14/20  

Read Full Resolution Here 
Watch City Council Read Resolution 

12/08/20 Executive Order 181 - Modified Stay at Home Order Requiring Nighttime Closures
The order include a temporary night-time public closure period on
certain businesses and a modified “Stay at Home” order on all North Carolinians 
during overnight hours. 
11/23/20 Executive Order 180 - Face Covering Requirements
A face covering will now be required in all indoor settings if there are non-household members present, regardless of the distance away.
  • Under previous executive orders, face coverings were required indoors only if people were within six feet.
  • Under this executive order, face coverings continue to be required in public outdoor settings if individuals are unable to maintain six feet of social distance with non-household members. 
  • FAQ Fact Sheet for Executive Order 180
Current and complete list of NC Governor's executive orders.

COVID-19 RESPONSE - CARES act financial Assistance 


The City is helping residents access much-needed financial assistance using funds secured through the federal government's CARES Act. 

City Water Utility Bill Assistance 
Some Burlington Households who have experience COVID-related financial difficulties are eligible to receive up to $100/month for three consecutive months to help pay City of Burlington Water Bills. 

The following qualifications apply:
  • Residents must have experienced reduced income due either to COVID-related loss of work or to missing work due to COVID-related illness. 
  • Residents must meet low-moderate income qualifications as defined by HUD (see table below). 


1 person

2 people

3 people

4 people

5 people

6 people

7 people

8 people










  • Original due date on the bill that assistance is requested for is on or after March 10, 2020. 
  • Residents must not have received income assistance from other sources. 

CONTACT: Community Development Office, 336-222-5070, or by emailing Leigh Sims (

Microenterprise Loans  
Qualifying Burlington businesses with 5 employees or fewer can apply for forgivable loans of up to $7000 Funds must be used for approved expenses related to COVID-19 impacts. The business owner orover half of employees of the business must have low- or moderate-income as defined by HUD to be eligible.   

Apply online here.

 CONTACT: Economic Development Project Manager Blake Moyer, 336-222-5081 or by email at

Emergency Income Assistance  
We've awarded grants to local non-profit partners to provide a range of financial assistance for Burlington residents including help with mortgages, rent, and utility bills. 

COVID-19 RESPONSE - Permits and applications for BUSINESSES 

The City will be waiving planning review fees during this time for outdoor dining applications. Please download the proper application for your business and submit to contact person or drop off by appointment at 425 S. Lexington Ave., call 336-222-5110 to schedule.

To expedite your application, please make sure to include all the required application materials, including: property owner approval, a certificate of liability insurance, and sketch plan.

City Re-Openings, Closures & Modified Schedules

(click tab below to see changes for each department)
  1. Recreation & Parks
  2. Collections, Billing & Customer Service
  3. Animal Services
  4. City Hall Services
  5. Link Transit
  6. Solid Waste Services
Updated: 9/11/20
Recreation & Parks Administrative Office will be closed to walk-ins but will remain staffed. Please email or call (336) 222-5030 for assistance. 
All playgrounds, outdoor shelters, parks, trails, greenways, marinas, and The Valley Golf Course are open. Visitors should stay 6 feet apart, wash or sanitize hands frequently and wear a mask. Please avoid crowds and refrain from large group activities. The following are open:
  • Playgrounds (max capacity of each playground is posted, but will not exceed 50 people, mask required)
  • Outdoor Shelters are available for rent at 50% capacity with max of 50 people. Rental reservations can be made through the Recreation & Parks Office at 336-222-5030. For shelter reservations at a lake facility, contact the lake directly. Renters are required to wear masks and provide table coverings.
  • Burlington Tennis Center. Please view the service modifications on the BTC page.
  • City Park (restroom at Field #5 open, all others closed)
  • Davidson Park (restroom at park office open, all others closed) 
  • Fairchild Park
  • Indian Valley Golf Course - Service Modifications: The Clubhouse is only open for payments. Only one golfer per golf cart.All pencils/scorecards will be discarded after use. Patrons are asked to not touch the flagsticks. 
  • Jiggs Askew Memorial Dog Park
  • Lakes & Marinas - Please view marina websites for service modification: CammackGuilford-MackintoshMackintosh & Stoney Creek.
  • Maynard Aquatic Center - Please view the service modifications on the aquatics page.
  • North Park
  • Springwood Park 
  • Depot restrooms
Burlington Recreation and Parks has CLOSED all of its indoor facilities and some outdoor facilities to the public. These closures include:
  • Fairchild Park Community Center
  • Mayco Bigelow Community Center
  • Forest Hills Community Center
  • Thataways Youth Center
  • Kernodle Senior Center
  • Basketball courts 
  • Indoor facility rentals are unavailable until further notice

Burlington's Frequently Asked Questions (updated 5/11/2020)

This web page provides information about Coronavirus, the City's response, resources available to the public and businesses and the most up-to-date info on City cancellations, closures and schedule modifications. Below are answers to the most frequently asked questions:

  1. Where can I find information about City closures, cancellations, and service modifications?
    This web page - - is updated regularly to reflect changes in City service provision including closures, cancellations, modified hours, or process changes. Please review the this page for the latest City of Burlington service modifications. Service changes can be seen here. Information for departments are located on separate tabs and are updated regularly.

  2. How can I report a violation of the State Executive Order or the City’s State of Emergency?
    Local law enforcement has been tasked with enforcing violations of Executive Orders and the City’s State of Emergency. If you need to report a violation, such as a non-essential business operating or crowds of more than 10 people, you may contact the Burlington Police Department’s non-emergency line: 336-229-3500. Alamance County is also servicing a hotline for questions and concerns related to COVID-19. Alamance County Coronavirus Hotline: 336-290-0361

  3.  How do I find assistance/resources?
    NC 211 is a centralized point of contact to connect residents with resources and also log those resource requests to help the state better respond to community needs. NC 211 also provides alerts and information to subscribers. Dial 2-1-1 or 888-892-1162 to get assistance. 

  4. Businesses in distress or in need of guidance or assistance? is a wealth of information for businesses and employees. Economic Development Director Peter Bishop can assist business owners in matching them with available resources. Mr. Bishop can be reached at 252-722-1556 or at

  5. Where can I find information about filing for Unemployment due to COVID-related job loss?
    Executive Order 118 addresses changes to Unemployment regulations related to COVID job loss.

    The fastest and most efficient way to file a new claim is to create an online account and file online at If you’re temporarily out of work or your working hours have been reduced due to COVID-19, choose ‘coronavirus’ as your reason for separation when filing your claim. Remember, you must complete a Weekly Certification each week to receive benefits for that week. Sign into your online account to complete your Weekly Certification. Eligibility, the exact amount of benefits and the duration period of those benefits cannot be determined until after you file your claim. After you file your claim, your last employer is given, by law, 10 days to respond to DES about your claim. No payment will be released until after this 10-day period. If there are no issues with a claim, individuals typically receive payment within about 14 days of filing their initial claim.

  6. Are we allowed to exercise or participate in other outdoor activities?Walking, running, hiking, golfing, and biking are all permitted as long as proper social distancing is adhered to. Organized play on any City courts or fields is prohibited in the City’s State of Emergency. Public and private playgrounds are closed. Please click here to view available parks and their hours of operation and modifications to their offered amenities.

  7. Income Tax Information due to COVID-19:North Carolina Department of Revenue has extended the filing deadline to July 15, 2020. However, the Department must charge interest for tax due but received after April 15th. For more information on this, visit the NCDOR's website.

Health-Related Resources for Coronavirus (COVID-19)


  • COVID-19 is a respiratory illness due to a new type of coronavirus (novel coronavirus).
  • Symptoms include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing.
  • COVID-19 is spread mainly from person-to-person among close contacts of individuals infected with this virus.
  • It’s important to remember that diseases, including COVID-19, can make anyone sick regardless of their race or nationality.


Cone Health On-line COVID-19 Assessment Test
Do you think you might have, coronavirus, use this online tool to check your symptoms.

Alamance County Public Health Coronavirus Call Center: (336) 290-0361
The call center allows residents with questions about the coronavirus to speak with a public health nurse and, if needed, be connected with a provider who will then determine if a flu test and/or COVID-19 test is needed.

Alamance County Health Department: (336) 227-0101

NC Coronavirus Hotline: (866) 462-3821

United Way Call 211: 2-1-1 or (888) 892-1162
United Way Call 211 provides assistance with food, housing, or essential services.

North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS)

Centers for Disease Control (CDC) 

Burlington's Declaration of Local State of Emergency

On May 22, 2020 the City of Burlington Updated the Local State of Emergency 

(Bringing provisions regarding Car Washes and Funerals in line with the Governor's Executive Order 141) 
Read Complete 5-22-20 SOE

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 the City of Burlington updated State of Emergency.  

4-30-20 State of Emergency  

On Monday, April 6, 2020, the City of Burlington amended their local State of Emergency.

This amended Declaration will take effect at 7:00 pm on Wednesday, April 8, 2020. This amendment is to further stop the spread of COVID-19 and is in response to issues identified since the release of Governor Roy Cooper’s Executive Order 121 on March 27, 2020. The State of Emergency is applicable within the jurisdiction of the City of Burlington and is subject to enforcement by the Burlington Police Department. The City encourages cooperation and aims to achieve voluntary compliance for the health and well-being of our community. View the Amended State of Emergency Declaration  Spanish version of amended SOE. View the Media Release. For a summary of the amendments that effect car washes, big box retailers and funerals click here.

The City of Burlington issues a Local State of Emergency that will be in effect from 8:00 am on

March 27, 202


until 5:00 pm on April 30, 2020. View the Declaration of a Local State of Emergency.


Media Release from the City of Burlington

Resources for Businesses & Employers