P.O. Box 1358
Burlington, NC 27216
P: (336) 222-5080, F: (336) 222-5090
Welcome to the Inspections Department. The Inspections Department handles a multitude of projects within the City of Burlington's jurisdiction involving the North Carolina Building Codes.
The City of Burlington launched BurlingtonSmart, online applications portal for permits and licenses in the summer of 2020.
In addition to general building permits, we also conduct specific inspections of electrical systems; mechanical systems including heating and cooling, and refrigeration; plumbing systems; and other miscellaneous items. For your convenience, we maintain a list of various permits and their associated fees.
Fee Schedule - Effective 7/1/2019
Click to download an application form:
- Commercial Building Permit Application
- Journeyman Card
- Residential Plan Review Requirements
- Residential Permit Application-New Dwellings
- Residential Permit Application-Additions, Garages, Decks & Storage Buildings
- Temporary Power Application
The City of Burlington Inspections Department will be allowing Live-Remote Inspections during the pandemic. Please see the link below for details regarding this service.
- Live-Remote Inspections.
- NCDOI recent release regarding Live-Remote Inspections will be at the discretion of the Inspector.
- Occupied Residential Dwellings
- Contractors and Home Owner - Please click the link as action is required on your behalf.