Afterschool Programs & Rec Days
YOUTH PROGRAMMING DIVISION
MAIN OFFICE & PAYMENTS
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION & FORMS
2019-2020 Afterschool Programs
2019-20 Afterschool Program registration begins Monday, July 15th for Alamance-Burlington students!
| NEW UPDATES for the 2019-2020 Afterschool Program:
The Burlington Recreation and Parks Department and the Alamance-Burlington School System offer Afterschool Programs at the following locations:
Programs are held at these school sites:
• Andrews Elementary
• Grove Park Elementary
• Hillcrest Elementary
• Newlin Elementary
Pick up & drop off programs available at:SPACE IS LIMITED
• Thataways Youth Center for students of Smith Elementary & River Mill Academy
Children are provided a healthy dinner, snack, homework assistance, and organized games in a safe, fun, recreational environment to keep children active and engaged in physical activities [enhancing their daily routine]. There will be special activities throughout the school year with field trips, and special guests offering fun projects and treats. Full Time and Part Time options are available! To lock in a spot for your child at an Afterschool Program, just complete a registration form and make your payment for their first month at the Burlington Recreation & Parks Main Office! Sites are tentative based on enrollment.
Afterschool registration begins Monday, July 15, 2019 at the Burlington Recreation & Parks Main Office (1333 Overbrook Road, Burlington, NC 27215). Registration form and payment must be completed in person before each child attends Afterschool.
There is no August/June payment for Full Time and Part Time participants of Alamance-Burlington Schools once September/May are paid in full. September is the first payment to secure a space for the first day of school.
River Mill’s first payment (August) & registration will need to be received before the first day of school. Space is limited due to transportation.
There is no registration fee, supply fee, or transportation fee. Space is limited. For more information call (336) 222-5030.
Afterschool Full & Part Time Fees are due “BEFORE” the 1st of every month and must be kept current. If payments are not received before the 1st of every month, your child will not be able to attend the program until it is paid.
- With recent changes in PCI Standard Compliance (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) and to protect information and financial sources, we are no longer permitted to accept over the phone credit card payments for any Burlington Recreation and Parks program starting with Afterschool 2019-20.
- In person at the BRPD Main Office (1333 Overbrook Rd.)
- Drop box located at the BRPD Main Office
Please be sure to include the following on your check or money order: your driver's license #, phone #, child's name & program site.
There are no refunds or transferable options for Afterschool payments. (i.e. payments cannot be transferred to another Burlington Recreation & Parks program or to the next school year)
*Payment information is subject to change.
Early Release Days
Early release days are scheduled early dismissal days from school. There is not an additional fee for Early Release days for children currently enrolled and paid in BRPD Afterschool Programs.
Early release days will be held at the Afterschool site and will begin immediately following the school's dismissal.
The CACFP Meal program will run on this day.
Formally known as Fundays
ABOUT rec days:
On Teacher Workdays, certain Holidays, and select snow days the Rec Days Program operates at Thataways Youth Center at 1331 Overbrook Road. This facility will be CLOSED to the public during Rec Days. Registration form and payment must be received in advance and a hard copy of the receipt must be presented at the sign in table for all participants. If you are delinquent in Camp or Afterschool payments your child will not be able to attend Rec Days. No refunds or transferable options for Rec Day payments. Rec Days must have a minimum of 10 paid participants to operate. To be eligible for Rec Days: 1) a child must currently attend kindergarten AND 2) be 5 years old on or before August 31, 2019.
2019-20 Rec Days Schedule
Times: 7:30am - 6:00pm
Ages: Elementary & Middle School Students
Location: Thataways Youth Center • 1331 Overbrook Road, Burlington, NC 27215
Rec Days RATES:
Rec Days are no longer included in Afterschool registration.
$15 per child per Rec Day
*There is no 2nd or 3rd child rate for this program*
rec days registration!You can register online for scheduled Rec Days!
Please see 2019 Rec Days Registration below (2019- early 2020 only)
*see Rec Days and Early Release Days schedule*
WHAT TO WEAR:
- Sturdy sneakers & Socks (no flip flops, sandals or crocs)
- Coats as the seasons change (we play outside!)
- Clothes you do not mind getting dirt or paint on throughout the active day
WHAT TO BRING*:
- A bottle of water with your child’s name on it
- Morning snack (an afternoon snack will be provided)
- A healthy lunch and drink (microwave will not be available)
- The Afterschool Meal program will NOT operate during Rec Days.
- On certain days, Thataways Time will be offered. Children may purchase healthy concessions or play arcade games & pool during this time. Children will also play dance games to win prizes at no charge. Money can be brought, but is not required.
- Printed copy of the receipt must be presented at the sign in table for all participants.
REC DAY SNOW DAYS
Are the kids out of school for a Snow Day? Parents need to go to work?
Rec Day Snow Days operates when the children are out of school due to snow, the accumulation has stopped, and road conditions are clear enough for our families and staff to attend safely.
Rec Day Snow Days are held at Thataways Youth Center.
FeesRec Day Snow Days are no longer included in Afterschool Registration.
$15 per Rec Day Snow Day per child.
*There is no 2nd or 3rd child rate for this program.*
*Registration & payment must be received at the BRPD Main Office before drop off. A printed copy of the receipt must be presented at the sign in table for all participants.
How to find information for Rec Day Snow Days & operational times:
1) Visit the website at www.BurlingtonNC.gov/NotifyMe in advance & sign up for Notify Me Notifications. Rec Day Snow Days
information will be sent out through “Programs for Children & Teens”.
2) “Like” Burlington Recreation & Parks on Facebook to check for updates.
3) Watch WFMY News 2 or WGHP Fox 8 and look for "BRPD Afterschools".
4) Call Thataways Youth Center at (336) 222-5134 once Rec Day Snow Days begin for the day.
For more information about Rec Days, including what to wear & what to bring, please click the Rec Days tab above.
Rec Day Snow Days must have a minimum of 10 paid participants to operate.
*BRPD is not responsible for any items brought from home. Participants are responsible for their belongings brought to BRPD youth programs. Electronics are not allowed to be brought to Afterschool or Fundays, including hand held games, iPods, tablets, & cell phones.