Police Department Employee Recognition
On behalf of Chief J. Jeffrey Smythe and the administration staff, thank you for the great job you do for the Burlington Police Department and our city, your efforts are deeply appreciated. We would like to wish you our most sincere congratulations.
It is the policy of the Burlington Police Department to promote and administer an awards and commendations program designed to acknowledge personnel, members of another agency, and citizens who have performed outstanding acts worthy of recognition.
- Award of Excellence - All police officers below the rank of sergeant and all civilian employees below the position of supervisor are eligible.
- Excellence in Leadership - All civilian supervisors and officers between the rank of sergeant and captain are eligible. The award is provided for exceptional performance, and it may be given for a single event, series of events, or performance on a special project.
- Class A Commendation - An attempt to save or protect human life is made through the direct action of an employee above and beyond the call of duty (no risk of his or her personal safety).
- Class B Commendation - Through the direct action of an employee, a serious felony dangerous to life or against property is prevented, or someone committing the felony is apprehended in the act, or, through the direct action of an employee, not rising to the level of above and beyond the call of duty, death or serious injury to a person was prevented.
- Class C Commendation - Through the direct action or performance of an employee, an exceptional case was cleared that would not normally have been cleared. The police activity is above and beyond what is normally required of an employee during the regular performance of his or her assigned duties.
|Det. Alex Shockley||Detective of the Year||His willingness to work extra hours when necessary, his great attitude, his ability to work within a team.|
|Det. Theriault||Class C Commendation||His swift response and excellent observation skills. The department was able to arrest a suspect quickly after the offense was committed. Due to his arrest, we are confident that other crimes were also prevented.|
|Nine officers||Class C Commendation||Work in a large-scale drug investigation|
|T. Verdeck, D. Davis, J. Greer||Class B Commendation||Quick action going above and beyond their duties during a medical emergency|
|POI M. Braja,
POI A. Smith
|Award of Excellence||Their hard work and dedication during a homicide investigation|
|Sgt. B. Farmer||Class C Commendation||Going above and beyond to improve the quality of life for an elderly victim of a larceny demonstrating high level law enforcement|
|POI C. Eanes||Award of Excellence||His outstanding efforts in locating and arresting a fugitive from justice wanted for multiple outstanding felonies|
|MPO S. Reed
POI M. Braja
|Award of Excellence||His skillful investigation and safe resolution to a child abduction|
|MPO J. Coleman||Award of Excellence||Outstanding felony larceny investigation involving great communication skills between other local agencies as well as within the department|
|M. Arcos||Award of Excellence||Selfless service and excellent work performance|
|E. Holloman, J. Buckner, D. Davis, Sgt. B. Petty, Sgt. N. Doss, MPO J. Comer||Award of Excellence||Leadership, professionalism, quick thinking, and sound judgement|
|POI A. Snow, POII M. Coggins||Award of Excellence||Superior leadership and work ethic in an investigation|
|M. McCann||Award of Excellence||Assisting with multiple additional projects while remaining consistently outstanding in regular duties|
|Det. Balog||Class C Commendation||The completion of a seven month long drug/ homicide investigation resulting in arrests across the state|
|Ofc. Pettigrew||Award of Excellence||Going the "extra mile" to help an arrestee in need, personally paying for him to have a place to stay for a night|
|Ofc. Henderson||Award of Excellence||An investigation into over 130 incidents of fraudulent prescriptions, earning the attention of the FBI and the US Postal Service|
|Criminal Investigations Division Detectives and N. Snowden||Award of Excellence||Their dedication and hard work and countless hours put into investigation multiple homicides over a four month period|
|Ofc. Elliot, Ofc. Giroux||Award of Excellence||Accurately portraying detailed drawings of traffic intersections and making them accessible to each officer|
|A. Satterfield||Award of Excellence||Working to ensure the department is hiring the highest qualified candidates for each position|
|TC McCann, TC Taylor||Award of Excellence||Their quick action in gaining valuable information during an active situation resulting in rapid response and assisting detectives|
|Officers Keeter, Turner, Edwards, Wright||Award of Excellence||Voluntarily stepping in to fill staffing needs in the field training program, allowing the department to efficiently provide well-trained officers|
|Ofc. Faucette||Award of Excellence||Going above and beyond the call of duty to help a citizen in distress and ensuring the safety of a stranded motorist|
|Ofc. Ostman||Award of Excellence||Her part in a community policing effort that has resulted in making a difference to those residents. Demonstrating above average knowledge of the district and caring interaction with its members|
|Ofc. Theriault, Ofc. Walker||Award of Excellence||Their work in specific neighborhoods where violent crime had been taking place and for identifying potential threats to the community and law enforcement|
|B. Holloman||Award of Excellence||Continued high performance and dedication to accomplishing the missions of the police department|
|Ofc. Rumley||Award of Excellence||Organizing a holiday event for the elderly in our community|
|TC J. Phillips||Award of Excellence||The creative transformation of an existing ticket box into a drop off location for letters to Santa and making sure that every child received a letter back from Santa|
|TC J. Buckner||Class C Commendation||Taking charge of a serious situation and acting with swift instinct and good judgement, resulting in a victim being located quickly and suspects found|