Back to School Safety
Schools will have started back and students in the area make their way to school everyday. This means children and teens will be walking, biking, driving, and taking the bus to school. The Burlington Police Department has provided some tips below for ways to keep your children safe as they go to school. The department requests that citizens talk with their children about how to be safe and for drivers to be more aware on their commutes and watch out for children that may be crossing the street or waiting for the bus. These tips are a proactive means for everyone to understand the importance of traffic safety during the upcoming start of the school year. The Burlington Police Department will be patrolling near our schools ensuring that all are remaining safe. Have a great year!
- Do not pass a stopped school bus with the stop arm displayed and lit.
- Yield to pedestrians who are in a crosswalk. NC law requires it.
- Do not speed - ever! PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO SCHOOL ZONE SPEED LIMITS!
- If a vehicle is stopped, do not pass it. Expect that they may be stopped for pedestrians.
- Avoid distractions while driving such as putting on makeup, eating, or using electronic devices while operating a vehicle.
- If near a school, bus stop, or playground - slow down because it is likely pedestrians will be there. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- When crossing a street, make sure to look both ways. Do not cross until there are no cars coming. Never assume a car will stop for you. If you cannot see the road for a long way in both directions, pick another spot to cross.
- Do your best to use intersections with crosswalks.
- As you walk near a road, do not let your electronic device distract you. Pay attention to where you are walking.
- If there is a sidewalk - USE IT. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and stay as far off the road as you can.
- If you ride a bike - always wear a helmet.
- If you bike - you must obey the rules of the road - stop at lights and stop signs.
- If you bike and you must cross a street, walk your bike across at an intersection.
- Wear bright and/or reflective clothing.
- Obey your crossing guards. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Do not speed - ever. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO SCHOOL ZONE SPEED LIMITS!
- Avoid distractions like playing your music loud or using electronic devices.
- Remember: cell phone use while driving is illegal for anyone under 18 years of age.
- If you are a provisional license holder, you cannot have more than one passenger in your car at a time. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Walk with your child to school the first few days. You should ensure the way is safe. Take time to teach your child how to avoid or naivgate any problem areas.
- Consider meeting with other patents and teaming your child up with other children and have them walk together. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Keeping our children safe is everyone's responsibility. Remember this - "It only takes a second of distraction to incur a lifetime of consequence." Please be safe. For more tips, check out the links below: