Urgent Repair Program
General eligibility requirements for single-family residences are listed below.
**WE ARE NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTING URP APPLICATIONS. ALL FUNDS HAVE BEEN EXPENDED FOR THE CURRENT FISCAL YEAR. MORE FUNDS MAY BE AVAILABLE STARTING AUGUST 2020.**
1) must reside within Alamance County and own and occupy the home in need of repair
2) must have a household income which does not exceed 50% of the Statewide median income for the household size (see income limits below)
3) must have a special need (i.e. be elderly, > 62 years old, handicapped or disabled, a single parent with a dependent living at home, a Veteran, a large family with >5 household members or a household with a child below the age of six with an elevated blood lead level (between 10 g/dl and 20g/dl)).
4) must have urgent repair needs, which cannot be met through other state or federally-funded housing assistance programs (funds cannot be combined with other Division program funds).
5) must not already have a loan with the City of Burlington.
INELIGIBLE TYPES OF REPAIRS
• Storm windows and storm doors.
• Insulation, unless it can be shown that the lack of insulation would cause a threat to the health or safety of the occupant.
• Interior and/or exterior painting.
• Aluminum siding or vinyl siding.
• Gutters and downspouts, unless repair is in conjunction with the replacement of a leaking roof.
• Soiled or deteriorated floor coverings, unless a trip hazard exists.
Air conditioner (unless the air conditioner is medically necessary. **HVAC units where the heat does NOT work are ELIGIBLE**).
• Site improvements.
• Mold. **We are unable to resolve mold issues with $7,500.**
• Any additional item that would be considered a cosmetic repair, or a repair that would not add to the structural integrity of the building, or that is not addressing a health and/or safety hazard as determined by rehabilitation staff or city inspections personnel.
INCOME LIMITS 2018-2019
1 Person Household: $22,150
2 Person Household: $25,300
3 Person Household: $28,500
4 Person Household: $31,650
5 Person Household: $34,200
6 Person Household: $36,700
7 Person Household: $39,250
8 Person Household: $41,800
FORM OF ASSISTANCE
The City will provide assistance to individuals whose homes are selected for repairs/modification in the form of a loan. Homeowners will receive an unsecured deferred, interest-free loan, forgiven at a rate of $1,000 per year until the principal balance is reduced to zero. Payments are not due until the balance is zero.
AMOUNT OF THE LOAN
The amount of the loan will depend on the scope of the work necessary to address the identified imminent threats to life and/or safety, and that will be determined by the City's rehabilitation specialist. There is no minimum to the amount of the loan; however the maximum life-limit according to the guidelines of the program is $7,000, with a $500 allowance for contingencies.
TYPE OF WORK TO BE PERFORMED
Only repairs that address imminent threats to the life and/or safety of occupants of the dwelling unit or accessibility modifications will be performed under the City's Urgent Repair Program. It should be noted that all deficiencies in a home may not be rectified with the available funds.
All work that is completed under the Urgent Repair Program must meet or exceed NC State Residential Code for One and Two Family Dwelling and be done in compliance with all state or local permitting, inspections, licensing, and insurance requirements including the Renovation, Repair, and Painting rule.
All applications MUST be filled out completely, and include the appropriate documentation. Incomplete applications will NOT be processed, and may be returned to the applicant.
2018-2019 Urgent Repair Application
To have an application mailed to you, please contact the Community Development Division at 336-222-5070.