Currently, the City of Burlington Aquatics does not offer public Lifeguard Training classes. Individuals who apply and successfully interview for the Part-Time Lifeguard position will be hired and paid to receive American Red Cross Lifeguard certification training on the job.
Become a Lifeguard for Burlington Aquatics
Free lifeguard training is available for swimmers interested in becoming a lifeguard for Burlington Aquatics.
- Must be 16 years or older.
- Apply for the Part-Time Lifeguard position.
- Successfully interview and competently demonstrate the Lifeguard Training Pre-Course Skills (described in the certification training course description below).
- Commit to working 250 hours (with pay) as a lifeguard for the City.
- Pass background check and health screen.
- Once hired, you not only receive free certification training, but you also get paid to train!
Lifeguard Training Certification
Through a blend of online study and in-person land and water skill practice, participants learn teamwork, rescue and surveillance skills, First Aid, CPR/AED and other lifesaving techniques needed to become a professional lifeguard. Upon successful completion of the course, participants receive American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR certification (valid 2 years), orientation training, and begin work shifts as a Lifeguard for the City.
Pre-course Skills Test (must be successfully demonstrated during the hiring interview and then again on the first day of class):
- Swim 300 yards continuously (that's 12 lengths in our competition-sized pool) demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both. Swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event: 20-yard swim using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound brick and, holding the brick with both hands, swim 20 yards back to the starting point. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps. Must be completed in 1 minute, 40 seconds.
Watch: Prerequisites - American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Course - YouTube to see a demonstration of the Pre-course requirements.