June 16, 2023
Free, but must be a registered Hikes with Hounds volunteer.
Hikes with Hounds
Friday, June 16, 2023
Burlington Animal Services has partnered with both Burlington and Graham's Recreation & Parks departments to provide Hikes with Hounds. Hikes with Hounds matches trained volunteers with shelter dogs during a group hike on local trails in Alamance County. Hikes are offered one Friday a month at 10 am. This volunteer opportunity offers adoptable dogs at Burlington Animal Services an enrichment activity that allows them to enjoy nature, socialize with people, and exercise - and it does the same for volunteers! The Hikes with Hounds program began in the spring of 2015, receiving the 2016 North Carolina Recreation & Parks Association’s Innovative Program Award.
Become a Hikes with Hound Volunteer:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be able to hike up to 3 miles at a moderate pace on uneven and natural surface terrain
- Complete the online Hikes with Hound Program Registration and Waiver
- Complete a one-time Burlington Animal Services Volunteer Orientation Training prior to participating on a hike, now offered virtually, before becoming a trail dog walker.
- Submit a copy of your ID prior to the first hike
- Review Volunteer Procedures for Hikes
Volunteers who have completed the Program Registration and Waiver, Volunteer Orientation Training, and provided a copy of ID will be placed on the email list to be notified of upcoming hikes.
For more information, please email the Hikes with Hounds coordinator.
Burlington Animal Services serves all of Alamance County. Learn how you can help by calling (336) 578-0343. View available pets online at www.BurlingtonNC.gov/pets.